Hmm… I think there may be slightly too much super hero action around this house. If there is one thing that I’ve learned from having kids is that superheros are SUPER COOL to four year old boys. Regular questions around here: If the earth is moving, why can’t I see the ground moving? If the mountains “grew” are they alive? How do things “balance” on the earth? Does it need to be windy for Superman to fly? Why does Batman have a cape if he doesn’t fly?
This little SUPER-SIDE TABLE (SST for short) has been incredible. I found the idea on good old Pinterest and sent it to Dylan. I’m sure he had a moment of “why are sending me Pinterest links”, but he set to work right away.
We were both unsure as we were making the SST – how will it look against our couches? Will it get any use? With all the questions we persevered as it was a fun and cheap project.
I wish I had pictures to share on how we built the SST, but that would have meant I was more organized.
Since this was just a fun project and we weren’t sure we’d like the outcome, Dylan bought the cheaper wood at the store. More expensive wood would have been a bit straighter and smoother, but this worked for our task at hand.
He got home, measured the arm rest, and chopped the wood with the miter saw.
The sides were attached with these wooden dowels – three on each side.
Here’s what we did to attach the slides: Lined up the pieces and marked where each dowel would go. Used a drill bit the same size as the wooden dowel and drilled into the underside of Piece1 (see below) and top of Piece2 where they were marked. You do not want to go through the top of Piece1 and need to make sure there is enough depth in the two pieces to insert the dowel and wood glue. Fill drill holes with wood glue and line the top of Piece2 with wood glue. Insert dowels to connect pieces 1 &2. Hold together overnight with a C-clamp. We could only find one of our c-clamps, so we had to wait a day between each side.
Once the glue had dried for 24 hours, we sanded the sides to make the transitions from one piece to the next smooth. For the sanding, Dylan used the dremel.
The final step was staining the SST. I did the staining and it was my first time staining anything. We already had a quart of the Old Maple color Minwax PolyShades one-step with polyurethane. Since we weren’t sure how this project was going to turn out, we went ahead and used what we already had instead of buying a new color. It took three coats – sanding in between to get to the finished product.
Here is Captain photo-bombing my picture. He was thoroughly disappointed that the cup was empty. Poor Captain!
After all the work and not being sure if we would keep the SSTs during the process, it turns out that we LOVE them. We use them all the time!
Only looking at the variable cost of making 1 incremental SST, they cost $4 each. Granted, since we have some left over supplies, our actual cost was slightly higher, but we will find uses for the extra wooden dowels and the couple of pieces of wood left.
Now that we know that we like the SSTs, I wouldn’t mind re-making them with better wood and do a better job staining. In the meantime, we will continue to get full use out of the two we’ve already made!